To celebrate the day we are sharing just a few fun facts about St. Patrick and some holiday traditions...
- He was born in England and brought to Ireland by pirates where he was forced into slavery!
- He often used shamrocks to explain the Holy Trinity and entire kingdoms were eventually converted to Christianity after hearing Patrick's message.
- Traditionally, every year, the Irish leader hands a crystal bowl full of shamrock to the US President. The shamrock, grown in Kerry, is immediately destroyed by the Secret Service after the exchange.
- There are no snakes in Ireland and it is believed that St. Patrick banished them to the sea after he was attacked.
- The first St. Patrick's Day parade was not in Ireland, but in Boston in 1737
- Green was not the original color associated with St. Patrick. Blue was! Imagine blue beer!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!