Many pregnant couples take breastfeeding classes and read up all about it. We are told that it's natural and with some time it becomes second nature. What they don't always explain is the pain you are going to have to go through before it gets easier.
Your nipples hurt and your milk let-down may be painful or even non existent. So what can a new Mom do to get through those first painful weeks. Here are a few remedies...
- Perfect your latch. There is going to be pain but with a incorrect latch you can be causing more pain than necessary. If you are having issues ask your doctor. They usually work with a lactation consultant that can help you. Some even come to you.
- Breastfeeding pillows are your friend. Chances are you got a Boppy or 2 at your baby shower. Or maybe you have a "My Breast Friend" pillow. Use them! A breastfeeding pillow can help you get the baby in a better position and help your body relax more.
- Learn different feeding positions. There are lots of different feeding positions you can try. There is the classic cradle, the on the side lying down position, and even the football hold
- Try the burp and switch. When things are really painful and you don't think you can stand one more minute of you little one on the breast try this. Start feeding on the most painful side and only feed for 5 minutes, burp baby and switch sides. Do this every 5 minutes.
- Nipple cream, smother that stuff on. This thick ointment will help sooth cracker nipples. You can find these kinds of cream at your local drug store and even our beloved Target. Look over what is in these creams because your baby will ingest some!
What are some of your breastfeeding horror stories??