This year for our annual trip to the lake we are tent camping. Yea! (did you catch my sarcasm there?) As a kid I loved going tent camping with my family and I still love at the fun parts like sleeping outside, campfires, cookouts and swimming all day. But when I was a kid then and going camping as an adult is way more work. Even now we go with my whole family so my parents still take a lot of the bigger items like camping stove and easy-ups and it's still a lot more work than I think vacation prep should consist of.
Here are a few things from my family of 4's camping packing list...
- Trash bags: They are not just for trash. I give the kids one and my husband and I use one as a hamper. Our dirty clothes go directly into the bags and not all over the tent.
- Doormat: Nothing is worse than dirt all over the tent floor. One way to cut back is to invoke the "no shoes in the tent" rule and to have a doormat to wipe off any muddy feet.
- Baby Wipes: When we camp we usually showers once in the middle of the week. Yes gross I know. But to keep everyone a bit cleaner on those non-shower days baby wipes are a life saver.
- Rope: to avoid wet swimsuits and beach towels from getting mildewy it's best to get them onto a rope line to dry as soon as you can.
- Toilet Paper: never head to the restrooms and assume there will be toilet paper. It's best to keep a roll handy and take it with you. It is better to be safe than sorry.
- Headlamp: I do what I can to avoid having to walk to the restrooms in the dark, but my kids will need to go at least once after dark. A headlamp is a great way to light the way and keep your hands free to hold little-ones hands and the roll of toilet paper. Here is a great one under $20.00 from REI.
What are some of your must-have camping items!