In my house family movie nights are one of our favorites things to do. We love to pile pillows on the floor, pop some popcorn and settle in for a flick. Since Halloween is just weeks away it is time to enjoy some spooky movies. Now my kids are pretty chicken (just like their Momma!) so the movies have to be really family friendly. Lucky for us there is a great selection of not so scary Halloween movies. Here are some of our favorites.
- The Addams Family (PG-13)- from the moment you hear the iconic theme song you are in a halloween mood. The Addams family may be creepy and kooky and all together spooky, but they are a family who loves each other like crazy.
- Ghostbusters (PG)- a 80's classic this move will introduce your kids to some of your favorite childhood characters like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man and of course Slimer. Oh and I should warn you, your kids will spend weeks yelling "Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!" at the top of their lungs.
- The Haunted Mansion (PG)- my kids and I just watched this Disney movie starring Eddie Murphy for the first time a few days ago. There are some pretty intense cemetery scenes, but the story had a sweet ending. The movie is based of the Disneyland ride The Haunted Mansion so if you are a Disney fan you'll enjoy it!
- Beetlejuice (PG)- I remember loving this movie as a kid. The crazy creatures in this movie are a bit too much for my kids but I am hoping eventually they will be ready for it.
- It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (G)- a holiday staple for the whole family. I can remember as a kid checking the TV guide to see when this special was coming on TV.
- Hocus Pocus (PG)- 2 kids have a memorable night when 3 witches are resurrected in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween. A very fun movie from start the finish.
- Casper (PG)- Casper is the friendliest ghost we know. Christina Ricci stars in this movie where her and her father are staying in a house with 3 mischievous ghosts & 1 friendly one.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG)- another Disney winner. This movie is on repeat in our house from Halloween to Christmas. Follow as Jack Skellington tries to find what Christmas means.
- Spooky Buddies (G)- Cute talking puppies are always a hit with kids. Part of the straight to DVD Air Bud movies this one follows the 6 adorable puppies on a Halloween adventure. Yes puppies in costumes!
- Coraline (PG)- This movie is a personal favorite of mine. The animation is stunning. This movie is based off the book by Neil Gaiman and they did a fantastic job of bringing the world to the screen.
What some of your favorite Halloween movies?