The concept is said to come from ancient Indian practices. It sounds complicated and almost painful, but all it is is swishing oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. Yes I said 20 minutes. And yes I said oil.
The list of benefits from oil pulling include:
- strengthen teeth and gums
- prevent gum and mouth disease and help prevent cavities
- fight bad breath
- help fight dryness of lips, mouth and throat
- remove toxins from your body
- help relieve pain from TMJ
- whiten your teeth
Of course I was sold and found myself inside a Fresh and Easy buying a jar of organic coconut oil. I have been oil pulling for 2 weeks now and here is what I have found:
- my mouth feels cleaner
- my morning breath stank has been greatly reduced
- my teeth look whiter and shiner
- the grossest part is waiting from the solid oil to dissolve into liquid
- 20 minutes is a long time. I found if I start as I get in the shower and swish until I am getting ready for work I can get 20 minutes in.
- DON'T spit oil down the sink!! It will clog your pipes.
- it sucks if you are swishing and need to sneeze
I wish I had a before picture, but here is one I took the other day right after my oil pulling, flossing, brushing, mouthwash routine.
Have you / would you try this new fad?
What do you think of oil pulling?