There are many old wives tales on way to help induce labor. Just for fun let take a look at some. Remember these are old wives tales and should never be attempted without consulting your doctor first!
- Walking: by walking you are moving your hips from side to side and some say this can help get the baby into the correct position. Also you have gravity working in your favor.
- Sex: semen has proteins and hormones in it that is said to help soften the cervix which may lead to contractions. Also an orgasim releases oxytocin which can stimulate your uterus muscles.
- Eating Spicy Foods: the idea here is that the spicy food will get your digestive system along with your uterus moving.
- Nipple Stimulation: according to research you would need to massage your areolas for an hour 3 times a day. Ain't nobody got time for that!. By stimulating the nipples your body may release the oxytocin which can lead to contractions.
- Drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea: they say by drinking 250ml cups, 4 times a day came trigger contractions.
- Take A Bumpy Car Ride: the idea here is that a bumpy car ride can help your water break.
- Castor Oil: this is a laxative and cause your digestive intestines to cramp up. It is said that intestinal cramping can lead to uterus cramping. Castor oil will also give you diarrhea. Eck!
- Eating Eggplant Parmesan: something about the oregano helping to start labor.
Taking a modern twist on labor inducing old wives tales is salad dressing! In Studio City, Ca there is a restaurant called "Caioti's Pizza Cafe". For over 20 years women desperate to go into labor head over to Caioti's to order the Balsamic Basil Vinaigrette Salad, also known as the "Maternity Salad". There is some secret ingredient in the dressing that has been known to induce labor. The restaurant even has a journal where mothers can leave entries about their "salad babies". This "maternity salad dressing" is so popular you can now order in on-line!
Do you know any other labor-inducing tricks?
Leave us a comment!