- Cinderella: First her Mom died and she ends up with a wicked step-mom and sisters. THEN her only surviving parent, her father, dies in the beginning of the film.
- Dumbo: Ugh my heart breaks for Dumbo's Momma. She has her baby taken from her. Us Mom's cannot watch the "Baby Mine" scene without tissues nearby.
- Bambi: poor little baby Bambi is orphaned when a hunter shoots and kills his Mom.
- Lion King: Mufasa is brutally killed by a stampede constructed by his own brother. It's so Shakespeare and so sad. Poor baby Simba.
- Sleeping Beauty: Now her parents are together and don't die BUT thanks to a wicked evil spell they are forced to give up their baby girl for many years.
- Finding Nemo: The first few minutes of this movie is the violent death of Nemo's Mom and all his siblings. Brutal Disney, very brutal.
- Princess and the Frog: after being sent off to war Tiana's father and his dream of opening his own restaurant die. He will never get to see what a success Tiana's makes of her life.
- Tangled: Very much like the parents in Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel's mom and dad are robbed of their baby girl by an evil woman. They should get together and start a support group. They could ask Hercules parents to join too.
- Brave: As if dealing with a crazy husband, rambunctious triplets and an angry teenaged daughter isn't enough, poor Queen Elinor is fed a cake that turns her into a bear! Then she is attacked by her own people and by another crazy angry bear! Eventually she gets turned back but is was touch and go at the end there.
- Frozen: King Dad and Queen Mom are in about the first 15 minutes of the flick. They head out for a 2 week trip and all we see is a crazy storm on the sea. We see the ship tossing and turning and they the ship is gone, along with Mom and Dad.
I could go on. I didn't even mention the films that showcased a single father ( Little Mermaid / Beauty and the Beast / Aladdin).
What things from your childhood do you see differently now that you are an adult?
Leave us a comment!