My husband and I are both Southern California kids. Which is great because my kids get to grow up with both sides of their extended families. All their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are within driving distance. This is such a great thing, except when it came to holidays.
Holidays are a big deal on my Mom's sides of the family and on my husbands Dad's side of the family. And after we had kids we ran ourselves ragged trying to spend each holiday with both families. Most holidays went like this...
- Leave the house at a ridiculous hour to drive 2 hours.
- Get to my family's Thanksgiving celebration. Stay for about 2 hours.
- Get the kids back in the car and drive another 1.5 hours
- Get to my husband's family's Thanksgiving celebration hours after it started
- Spend about 2 hours there until the kids are cranky and tired.
- Drive another hour home.
It was always a rush, we never had enough time with either family and the majority of the day was spent in the car. I can even remember one time when we missed a meal all together. We were too early for one and too late for another.
After a few years of this we decided we just couldn't do it anymore. We understood that all the grandparents wanted to see the kids but it was just too stressful for us. We decided that from that point on we would split the holidays. Now every year we switch off for Thanksgiving. Even years with my husband's family and odd years with mine. This routine has made our holidays a little less stressful.
How do you handle multiple family holidays?
Leave us a comment below!