1. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen- the ups, the downs, the slow the fast, the head banging. This song is just a complete lesson in classic rock all wrapped nicely in a 5 minute and 55 second song.
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana- yes my husband and I are children of the 90's but this song really did change things in music. It pushed the grunge movement into the mainstream. Plus I will be able to explain why Mom only wore flannels during high school.
3. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins- yes its a sad, slow-tempo song, but that drum solo! Waiting for that drum solo is always so intense. And really you have to teach your kids how to properly air drum to that part.
4. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners OR Save Ferris- this is one of those few instances when the remake is just as good as the original. There will be a time in your kids life (probably in college) when this song will come on and everyone will sing along. Make sure your kids know the words.
5. Three Little Birds by Bob Marley- this song just makes you happy. It is positive and upbeat and optimistic. Even kids sometimes need to hear "every little thing is gonna be alright". Plus when your 3 year old sings it there really is nothing more adorable.
6.No Parking on the Dance Floor by Midnight Star- Both my husband and I were very much into breakdancing when we were kids. We had our fat laced converse, painters caps and giant pieces of cardboard. In our house we joke that the only rule is "No Parking on the Dance Floor". This song really captures that era. Plus our kids needs to understand when we say "Hey Lady, you can't park here!"
Rapper Delight by Sugarhill Gang
Sweet Caroline- Neil Diamond
Paul Revere- Beastie Boys
So tell us what songs are on your list?