It might seems easier to just skip tummy time altogether but here are a few reasons why it is so important...
- It helps strengthen baby's neck and upper back muscles.
- The ability to move their head reduces the risk of SIDS.
- Helps baby develop a round head and avoid flat spots on the back of the head.
Tummy time can start as soon as your baby is born, but should be added into your daily routine by 1 month old. It is recommended to have 5-10 minutes of tummy time a few times a day, but don't worry if your baby only lasts a few minutes before becoming upset. Any amount of time spent on their tummy is beneficial.
Here are some ways to help make tummy time happier for everyone...
- Instead of placing baby on the floor, lay them on their tummy on top of you. They will try to lift their head to look at you!
- Use that boppy. This gives your baby some height and comfort.
- Lay on your tummy facing your baby. Talk or sing and they will look for your face and voice.
- There are lots of play mats you can buy that can make tummy time more fun!
Remember to never leave your baby alone during tummy time and never put your baby to sleep on their tummy!
Do you have any tips for making tummy time better?
Leave us a comment!