On Monday my husband and I will be celebrating our 7 year wedding anniversary. I recently reminded him of this fact and said "uh oh it's the seven year itch!". This term refers to an idea that after seven years of marriage someone gets bored and cheats. This 7 year mark is usually about the time when married couples have young children, a mortgage payment, careers, and lots of responsibilities. It is a time when couples start to find themselves drifting.
Here are 7 tips to help avoid the dreaded 7 year itch:
- Get out of your rut. At this point many couples find themselves in a routine. With kids and jobs and all that comes with it, it is so easy to fall into a routine and routines often lead to ruts. Change something. Anything! If you have tacos every Tuesday, change it up and have hamburgers. Paint your bedroom a different color, or rearrange the living room. Change is good.
- Make time for each other. We have always heard about date nights, but taking time out of your schedule to just be with your partner lets them know that they are a priority. Can't get out or away for date night? Create time in your daily schedule at home to just be with your spouse (sans kids).
- The 7 year mark is a great time to stop and reflect on your relationship. Talk about what is working and what isn't working. Reflecting could create a breakthrough that will reinvigorate your union and set off a new spark of love.
- Keep the passion and romance alive. And yes, I mean have sex. Have sex often. The more you have sex the more you will want to have sex.
- Do you! Make sure that you have not lost yourself in your job and your kids. If you and your own personal interests are fulfilled you will be all around happier. This happiness will find its way into all your relationship.
- Don't let the little things that annoy you just fester and become a big deal. Keep communication open and talk things out before they get out of hand.
- Therapy is not admitting failure. Sometimes even the best relationship needs a neutral third party to talk to. If you feel like you could benefit from therapy try out a session.
Do you have any tips on avoiding the 7 year itch?
Leave us a comment!
(Oh and Happy 7 Year Anniversary Babe!)