Every day after school my husband gives my daughter a practice spelling test. Any words she misses he has her write 5 times on a piece of paper. Ugh, just writing about that was boring! I can see why my daughter complains. Every week the words get harder and harder and her complaining gets louder and louder.
So as a way to keep the peace and keep my daughter interested in spelling I have come up with a few ways to make practicing spelling words more fun and interactive!
- Take it outside. Grab a bucket of sidewalk chalk and have your child practice writing their spelling words on the sidewalk or driveway. Don't have chalk? Give them a cup of water and a paintbrush. They can paint the words on the sidewalk!
- Head to discoveryeducation.com/free-puzzlemaker/ with the weeks spelling words! Here you can make word searches and cross word puzzle and even cryptograms. This is a great way for your kid to have some fun while practicing spelling words.
- Grab a white board and dry erase markers and let them write the words on there. For some reason my kids LOVES this.
- Do you have a kid who loves being on the computer? Have them type out their words!
- You can use your words to write a short and silly story.
- Do you have a set of magnet letters on your fridge? Clear a spot and have your child build the words with the magnets!
- Rainbow Writing can be fun. Give your child a set of colored pencils and have them trace each word over and over with different colors.
How do you keep homework fun?
Leave us comment and join in the fun!