During this time of the year it is nice to be thankful for what we have. It is also important to GIVE during this time of the year.
It is never too early to start teaching your children about charity and giving back. Here are some ways to involve your kids in giving back...
- Have them go through their toys and choose some toys to donate to a shelter or other charity.
- Take them shopping to choose one toy to donate for Toys For Tots. They can also shop for school supplies to donate.
- If your child is ready for a big haircut, Locks for Love is a great organization that uses donated hair to make wigs for cancer patients. Ask your hairdresser if they work with the organization.
- If your kids earn money for odd jobs they can save a small percentage to donate to a charity of their choice. For example if your kids really love animals a small donation to the ASPCA can teach them the power of giving.
- Sign-up your family for walk for a cause. In my family diabetes effects us and every year we raise money and participate is a 4 mile walk to raise awareness.
- If your children are older there are lots of things they can do. Volunteer to serve food in a soup kitchen. They could volunteer their time at a retirement home to spend time with the residents there.
Teaching your children about the joy of giving is character building.
Giving back is an important lesson to learn at any age!
So tell us, what are some of your favorite charities to support.
Leave us a comment (with your email!) and be entered to win a $25.00 gas card!