*please note that these regulations apply to California only!
Rear-Facing Car Seat
- These are for newborn to 1 year old and 20 pounds.
- If your child is 9 months old and 23 pounds they still need to be rear-facing.
- If your child is 16 months old and 18 pounds they still need to be rear-facing.
Front-Facing Car Seat
- These can be a convertible or combination seat.
- Child must be 1 year old and at least 20 pounds.
- Child should be in a 5 point harness until they reach the top weight and height for your car seat.
Booster Seats (with back or without)
- For children under 8 years old OR shorter than 4 foot 9 inches tall, use a booster with a high back if your car's back seat does not have a head rest or is below your child's head.
- A lap and shoulder belt must be used.
- Use only if the seat belt fits your child properly.
Installing a car seat can be a challenge. Did you know that many local California Highway Patrol Offices have lessons that you can attend that will teach you how to properly install a car seat? Call your local office for more information.
Safety is a top priority for all parents.
What are some of your safety concerns when it comes to your kids?
A special thanks to HerMama Regina B. for suggesting this topic.
If there is any topic you would like to read about (or write about!) please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a post on our Facebook Page!